Tiling: How to decorate the walls in the bathroom beside tiles?February 21, 2021
In the minds of many of our compatriots, the tiling and the bathroom are inextricably linked, but this combination has a lot of disadvantages. Firstly, tiling cladding traditionally costs the customer a lot, and secondly, with all the modern variety of tiling, you would hardly be able to find your original vision of the interior if there were no alternatives.
If you decide to decorate the walls in the bathroom with anything other than tiling, when choosing finishing materials, you will have to check the compliance of potential alternatives with a number of criteria that are fundamental in the conditions of the bathroom.
Due to the abundance of plumbing and the need to use the most resistant materials, they try to make the repair of the tiling bathroom as rare as possible, therefore it is better to revet it once with expensive and high-quality material than to save today and pay again in a couple of years.
High humidity and high temperature in the bathroom are ideal conditions for the multiplication of any pathogenic microorganisms. The cladding should not once again contribute to their presence.
In the bathroom tiling, you should not rely on the accuracy of handling the repairs – here he is under pressure from heavy plumbing, and he can also be prone to shock if someone accidentally loses his balance. To avoid problems with repairs, it is worth choosing reliable and shock-resistant materials.
Preference is given to those materials whose structure requires a minimum number of pores. Due to this structure, dirt is less absorbed into the finish and does not need to be cleaned so often, and the cleaning procedure itself turns out to be simpler and more convenient.
Ease of installation
This criterion is also important if you decide to do the repair yourself, as well as when calling the master in tiling. In the first case, you greatly simplify your task; in the second, you can spend less on paying for the services of an employee.
Unfortunately, many modern tiling materials are rightly criticized for the release of toxic fumes, especially when heated. In a bathroom, where you are generally not protected from the effects of the surrounding atmosphere, and it is almost always slightly warmed up, the choice of environmentally friendly materials is extremely important.
The durability of the cladding largely depends on how easy it is to clean it from the resulting contamination, but sometimes aggressive chemicals cannot be dispensed with. It is necessary to choose such finishing materials that are not destroyed by “chemistry”, otherwise your repair will live only until the first cleaning.
Can natural materials be used?
Connoisseurs of classic interiors probably sleep and see their bathroom, trimmed with wood, especially since even in the baths this type of cladding is widespread and does not cause any particular complaints.
Modern manufacturers are ready to offer customers slightly more expensive waterproof wallpaper, whose gluing is appropriate even in the bathroom.
In addition, this cladding option allows for spot repairs – instead of a damaged or too dirty fragment, you simply glue another one of the same from old stocks.
In order not to be disappointed with the result, pay attention to the following types of wallpaper:
- washable – they are based on ordinary paper, but on the outside, they are covered with a thin waterproof film, due to such an engineering solution, both a practical and inexpensive coating is obtained;
- vinyl tiling – they are expensive, but their outer layer is not afraid even of direct contact with water, because the lining will last a long time;
- self-adhesive – in fact, they are a polymer film that is not afraid of moisture, and therefore it is often pasted over sections of the wall directly near the plumbing;
- liquid – contrary to the name, in fact, they are not at all wallpaper, but are more suitable for the description of plaster, albeit with the inclusion of cellulose fibers, and are great for decorating a bathroom;
- fiberglass rolls are rolls based on fiberglass, fundamentally indifferent to the effects of moisture, they are produced in white with a textured texture and suggest subsequent dyeing, permissible up to 10 times;
- photo wallpaper – in the presence of a hydrophobic film, they are able to withstand operation even in high humidity conditions, while making the bathroom design as interesting and unusual as possible.
Finishing with plastic panels
The decision to sheathe the bathroom with plastic is considered one of the most popular after the choice in favor of tiling. Such popularity seems justified, because consumables, like work, cost a penny, but at the same time, the finished repair will serve the owners of the apartment for a long time.
Experts distinguish the following features of plastic panels, for which it is worth choosing this particular material:
- environmental friendliness – the same kind of plastic is used for manufacturing, in which food is packed and from which water pipes are made, it is completely safe for humans;
- resistance to high temperatures – for panels the critical mark is 370 degrees, but this is unlikely to ever be reached, and even in case of fire, the material does not emit particularly toxic smoke, without interfering with the evacuation of people;
- moisture resistance – plastic does not absorb water at all, and its seams are made in the form of waterproof locks, therefore the wall will always be clean and will not contribute to the growth of bacteria;
- ease of installation – panels can be glued either directly to the wall or to the frame, which allows you to smooth the surface without unnecessary effort, hide the insulation or communications;
- a decent assortment – contrary to popular misconception, the appearance of plastic wall panels can be very diverse, which allows the consumer to experiment with the design of his bathroom at his own discretion.