Bathroom Renovation on How to start?November 28, 2020
Most of the repair work in the bathroom can be done independently, without the help of specialists. This is especially true for the cosmetic decoration of the room since even a novice master can hide pipes in a box and lay ceramic tiles. Before carrying out the work, you need to draw up a design project for the bathroom and determine where to start on a bathroom renovation.
More skills are required when installing electrical wiring. In this case, people with no experience should contact a specialist in a bathroom renovation.
Make a bathroom renovation in accordance with the technology. All construction work must be carried out in strict sequence.
Prices and costs of bathroom renovation
It is recommended to buy building materials in one store, since discounts are often given for bulk orders. The required amount of dry mixes can be calculated knowing the surface area on which they will be applied. Tiles and porcelain stoneware need to be bought with a margin of 10-15%.
To reduce costs, you should refuse to help a designer. You can think over the style of the room and the arrangement of furniture yourself. To facilitate the task, it is worth creating a three-dimensional model of the room using a computer program.
The correct sequence of a bathroom renovation is the key to a quality finish. All work is carried out in several stages. To begin with, they dismantle the old finish and pipes in the room, remove all unnecessary items.
Then the surfaces of the walls and floor are leveled. After that, they move on to marking up communications. The layout of the electrical and ventilation should be thought out in advance. Then the room is finished. The final stage is the connection of plumbing and furniture installation.
Bathroom renovation plan:
- Dismantling the bathtub, old coatings and doors.
- Plastering walls.
- Engineering works (rough installation of pipes, electricians).
- Leveling the floor.
- Waterproofing works.
- Sealing of pipes in a plasterboard box (if necessary, installation of the installation on the gypsum board).
- Laying tiles.
- Installation of the door leaf.
- Ceiling decoration.
- Plumbing connection.
Bathroom Renovation Planning
It is not recommended to start a bathroom renovation without planning ahead. First, you need to think over the design of this room. You should decide on the style of the interior, its colors, think over the arrangement of furniture.
Experts recommend drawing a diagram of the room, indicating on it the dimensions of the walls, sockets, lamps, switches, and pipes. At this stage, you need to calculate the area of the surfaces that will need to be finished.
An important part of planning is the choice of finishing materials and plumbing. For repairs, they choose ceramic tiles, plastic panels. Do in the bathroom and decorative plaster walls. It is better not to save on building mixes. It is recommended to choose plumbing equipment taking into account the size of the room.
Purchase of materials
To finish the bathroom renovation, you will need the following rough materials:
- self-leveling floor screed;
- waterproofing mixture;
- tile adhesive;
- concrete contact;
- metal profile, beacons.
To dismantle the old tile, use a puncher, chisel and hammer. The work must be carried out very carefully so as not to get hurt by flying off pieces of tiles. For protection it is worth using glasses and gloves.
Dismantling begins with any edge tile. They beat off a piece from it with a hammer, and then pry the tile with a chisel. The cladding is removed piece by piece. The hammer drill works in a similar way.
Before laying the tiles, apply incisions with an ax to the previously painted surface. Then the surface is sanded with coarse sandpaper. Exfoliating elements (old paint, plaster) are removed with a spatula.
Floor screed and waterproofing
During the repair, the old screed is dismantled in the presence of defects and drops. The cleaned floor must first be vacuumed and primed. The screed is poured over the level beacons. It is better to use non-shrinking mixes that quickly gain strength. This will help shorten the repair time.
Bath waterproofing is done in 2 ways:
- It is done before and after leveling the floor. To do this, first, use a roll, and then a coating waterproofing. This method is recommended for apartments on the upper floors, as this double protection will reduce damage in case of flooding.
- In the second case, the walls and floor are covered with a thin-layer cement-based waterproofing mixture. Before work, the surface will need to be moistened with water. The waterproofing mortar is applied to the corners. Then a tape with a mesh is glued onto it. After gluing the corners, the mixture is applied to the remaining surfaces, rubbing it into the base. It is allowed to harden for 3-6 hours. The second layer is applied perpendicular to the first. This method of waterproofing prevents water from entering under the tiles from the outside and helps to protect the finish in adjacent rooms.
Installation of piping and wiring
When the bathroom renovation, be sure to redo the old sewer pipes. They should be replaced with polypropylene. To dismantle the heated towel rail, you will have to turn off the water in the riser. The pipes are laid for plumbing.
For the installation of electrical wiring, corrugation or insulating boxes are used. They are laid horizontally and vertically in channels, which are channeled with a grinder.
Then plastering is done on top. Communications are hidden under a stretch ceiling and plasterboard. Their locations are marked on the wiring diagram.
The final stage of bathroom renovation
After installing the plastic pipes, you need to assemble a box for them. To do this, you should use drywall sheets that are not afraid of moisture. The base of the box is made of profile guides. Attached on top of them. For quick access to the meters, the structure is equipped with an inspection hatch.
After installing the box, you need to finish the walls and floor. The tiles are laid from the bottom up. When finishing, you need to properly trim the material. The tiles in the corners must be the same size. After finishing the surfaces in the bathroom, they proceed to the installation of plumbing.
How to save money at the planning stage?
Planning is an important part of a bathroom renovation because it avoids a number of mistakes. Especially carefully you need to think about overall work with a limited budget. To save money, you can:
- When planning, calculate the possible adjustment of the size of the room. This will save on facing material. To lay fewer rows of tiles, you can move the plasterboard with installation forward or reduce the height of the ceiling with trim. It is necessary to adjust the size of the room taking into account the size of the tile.
- Find plumbing fixtures (for example, installation), for which you will not need to buy additional parts. The package must be complete.
- Before buying any equipment, thoroughly find out its features. This will avoid installation problems.
- Combine materials. This is especially true for premises with a large area. To save money, the area around the bathtub and sink is tiled, and the rest of the surfaces are painted. Less money will be spent on a plasterboard ceiling, which can also be mounted on your own.
- Rent the necessary tool, not buy. You may need a tile cutter, hammer drill, screwdriver, grinder.
The bathroom renovation procedure depends on the characteristics of the room and the materials selected. If the walls have been treated with acrylic paint, then plastering can be dispensed with. Before laying the tiles, you will need to make notches on them. Concrete surfaces should be treated with a primer to increase the adhesion of the substrate.